Our client, Nationale Borg, a Liberty Mutual Surety™ company, is seeking a Relationship Manager in their Amsterdam office.
In this role, you will market, underwrite, and service customers and accounts within an assigned territory focusing on relationship building and transactional sales. You will also use your business and financial acumen to perform primary credit underwriting and financial/risk analysis, provide recommendations, and make decisions on new and existing accounts. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced and self-motivated surety professional looking to advance their career with a top surety company that focuses on its employees and customers first.
Liberty Mutual Surety, a business unit member of Liberty Mutual Insurance, is the 2nd largest Surety company in the United States and one of the largest globally. They specialize in providing surety bonds for construction firms, manufacturers and suppliers, and commercial enterprises for corporations and individuals on an account and transactional basis, and conduct business worldwide through fronting relationships and Liberty owned subsidiaries, with bonds issued in over 60 countries. They pride themselves on their outstanding service to agents and customers throughout their field offices across the U.S., Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru, Curacao, UK, Germany, Italy, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Hong Kong, and Australia. They are committed to their value proposition of building mutually profitable relationships by providing smart business solutions, ease of doing business, and consistent, responsive service, and are dedicated to the communities they serve and values highly a diverse workforce.
• Meets with customers from assigned territory to solicit business/submissions via marketing efforts and explain customers on Liberty Mutual Surety policies, procedures, appetite, and requirements. Act in a consultative capacity and discuss/review accounts and performance.
• Originate, lead, and underwrite surety transactions.
• Develop/maintain strong relationships, meets with clients, and oversee a book of surety business. Meets production, marketing, and profitability goals as set by manager and assist in business development. Develop of a book of business strategy to broaden the portfolio with various accounts in compliance with given Underwriting Guidelines.
• Performing analytical evaluations of financial statements on both a static and trend basis. Determines an underwriting position of the most complex risks, and monitors their present and historical financial position of risk through analysis of interim financial statements and work in progress data as appropriate. Recommends, implements and monitors milestones and potential exit strategy on accounts showing high risk trends.
• Responsible for investigation, analyzing, and managing all necessary underwriting/accounting/work flow issues, within framework of Surety policies and procedures.
• Monitor an existing book of business from an underwriting standpoint. Continuously evaluates the qualitative characteristics of the business (new and existing) as assigned. Examples include utilization of self-audit programs, financial ratio analysis report. Makes recommendations to Manager for proper lines of authority to be submitted to Home Office. Monitors and controls utilization of such lines to ensure compliance with guidelines.
• Analyse exposures and determine the appropriate surety coverage and conditions, risk exposure, loss history, and economic trends that may impact terms and conditions offered to the client.
• Attend client, broker and market meetings as well as in regular meetings with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ensures compliance with all applicable internal and external laws, regulations, policies, procedures and guidance.
• Adhere to underwriting standards, instructions and best practice methodology in order to minimise risk as incorporated into the Underwriting Controls Framework.
• Provide direction for topics to be addressed in meetings with customers.
• Actively contribute to the team spirit and collaborate cross-country and cross-functionally. Identify cross-selling opportunities with other Liberty product line areas and meets goals as set by manager.
• Assist in market screening and the definition of appropriate policies and underwriting guidance.
• Use of risk profiling and pricing tools.
• Prepare and implement instructions for administering work flows and accounting/billing issues to service unique situations.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned – bring creativity for the optimization of work flows and accounting and billing issues.
• HBO level or University degree or equivalent, ideally in Finance or Accounting.
• Surety Underwriting or financial/commercial credit underwriting experience is highly preferred.
• Mature and self-confident; ability to face clients, business partners and senior colleagues.
• Strong problem-solving, marketing and account-management skills.
• Must be detail-oriented, able to manage time and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work independently and manage many tasks simultaneously in addition to comfortably interacting with people in small groups and social situations.
• Fluent in Dutch and proficient in English. Additional languages are a plus.
• Strong economic, political, current affairs understanding and knowledge.
• Excellent communication skills with all stakeholders (brokers, clients, colleagues and other business partners).
• Profound computer skills, in particular Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
• Strong level of numeracy, literacy and technology skills without losing the conceptual skills for the bigger picture.
• Demonstrates strong collaboration and teamwork.
• Demonstrates track record of business development.
• Must demonstrate comprehension of technical surety underwriting issues and be capable of defining and implementing necessary underwriting and administrative processes/ work flows to properly manage or administer those
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
You will work in an environment where people come first. There is an open culture focused on collaboration. Much attention is paid to personal development, training and career planning. The terms of employment are very competitive, including a bonus scheme and a lease car.
Liberty Mutual Surety works together with Statera to fulfill this position. Statera is a recruitment agency with a focus on the financial domain.
For more information about the recruitment process, please contact: